Live Kind And Rethink The Straw

Rethink The Straw


The plastic straw seems to have become public enemy number one and it is about damn time.

Some Facts:
  • Plastic straws last forever.
  • Due to their small size plastic straws are difficult to recycle as they tend to fall through the cracks on the sorting belts and end up in landfills.
  • Plastic straws are among the top ten plastic debris found during coastal cleanups.
  • 80 to 90 % of the debris that ends up in the oceans is plastic.
  • An estimated 71% of seabirds and 30% of sea turtles have been found with plastic in their stomachs. 
  • An estimated 100 000 marine animals are killed annually due to plastic debris.
  • One reusable straw can save thousands of plastic straws from polluting our landfills and oceans.

We had this experience recently while holidaying at the coast. 


We were having breakfast and my daughter asked for a straw to drink her hot chocolate. 
The lady serving us launched into a long winded explanation about the pollution of the oceans and asked my six year old daughter if she wanted to kill the fishes.

Now for me this was unacceptable behavior and I was super annoyed. We didn't ask for a plastic straw. 

If the restaurant is so determined to have a no plastic straw policy then that is amazing, but surely they should then offer an alternative? Paper straws being a cheap option if they don't want to go reusable.

Restaurants really need to get on board with alternatives!

I have been to a few restaurants who give out paper straws instead of plastic (although to be honest I don't like paper straws, they get soggy in your drink and its gross) and I have heard of a few 'ahead of the game' restaurants who provide glass straws and I love this. But the rest of them need to step it up.

Until they do though, we need to do our bit as individuals. I can't just sit back and blame the restaurant for not having an alternative and carry on contributing to the problem. 



This prompted my search for our own reusable straws to carry in my handbag at all times.



Hubby found us some thin stainless steel straws on One Day Only (www.onedayonly.co.za) and they came with a cleaning brush and a lovely drawstring bag. 


I also found some thicker stainless steel straws at Leafy Greens Cafe (at Casalinga, Mulderdrift) these are in the picture at the top of the post.

They also had glass and bamboo options.

I felt that glass was not practical for us as a family with small kids and wasn't sure if they would be safe to carry around in my bag.


I'd like to try some bamboo options sometime.



Faithful by Nature has a huge range of reusable straws on offer as well (www.faithful-to-nature.co.za) they even come in rose gold ♡ 
















I am super happy with my stainless steel straws and my mommy bag can handle the weight of them. 

I do have to admit that they are heavy and not suitable to a small handbag and there is the problem of having to rinse off the straw before putting them back into your bag, but for now I am willing to put up with these inconveniences while the restaurants of the world catch up.

How about you?

With love,
Chelsea



Comments

Popular Posts