My Kindest Morning - Rituals For Starting The Day Well

Rituals For Starting The Day Well


thought I'd share my morning routine and a few of the things that I do every morning to set myself up for a positive, kind and beautiful day. I have picked up these little habits over the years (a lot of them from reading motivational self help type books by successful people) and they really do seem to make a tremendous difference to the 'mood' of my day. 

I have 6 rituals, a nice even number.

1. Gratitude



I like to start my day with gratitude.

I try to think of a few things every morning  that I am grateful for in my life. 
This is really not hard, we all have so many blessings in our lives - even just being alive is something to be grateful for. 

I try to feel the gratitude as deeply as I can, I even put my hand over my heart as if the gratitude is a physical thing that I can feel there.

I cannot emphasis enough how gratitude or lack thereof shapes your life, read The Secret and try it - there is so much power in being thankful for all that we have and all that is yet to come, even if it is just to put you in a good mood for the rest of day.

I try to write some of these blessings down in a gratitude journal once a week - every day was just a bit much for me.


2. Singing

I generally start singing almost immediately after opening my eyes in the morning. There is nothing like a good, upbeat song to get your blood pumping and your good mood vibes flowing. I've been singing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" as I go about my morning rituals for as long as I can remember.

I read a few years ago that Shailene Woodley (whom I adore by the way) sings the first line of "Good Morning" from Singing In The Rain on the top of her voice as she wakes up every day. So I added that to my morning repertoire for good measure. 

No easier way to get the day going with a positive heart.


3. Hydration


My morning drink of choice is hot water with lemon, not as tasty as hot chocolate, but it's super cleansing. 

You feel healthier after drinking it and it's nice to start the day with no 'dairy bloat' - let that settle in after breakfast. 

Lemons are also packed with vitamin C so it's a good way to boost up for the Winter.





4. Love


My next little ritual is to say kind words to my kids the moment they wake up. It is after all the easiest time of day to be kind, nobody should have pissed you off yet. 

I love to see their sleepy smiles when I give them compliments as they wake, and what a lovely way for them to start the day. 

Add to this our morning cuddle session in my bed before we need to get up and face the day and we really do start every morning on a bed of kindness.

Hubby leaves for work long before we wake up, but if he does happen to be home then he is also included in kind words and cuddle time.


5. Cruelty Free Beauty Regime


What better way to start your day kind than by using cruelty free products for your morning beauty regime. 


I practice oil pulling most mornings, using coconut oil and sometimes also sesame oil.

I love how clean my teeth feel after pulling and I absolutely believe that my teeth are whiter and less stained. The oil is also supposed to pull bad bacteria and such out of your mouth and so keep you healthy.

Then I brush my teeth with an organic, natural and cruelty free toothpaste. The one in the picture is available at Dischem and it tastes nice and minty.




I am currently using a range of skin care products from The Body Shop and the Esse Probiotic skincare range, mixing and matching whatever feels good. 

As long as you cleanse, tone and moisturize then any products are fine. There are cruelty free products to suit any budget, the African Extracts Rooibos range is amazing and very affordable.




I'm still looking for a cruelty free sun protection, I would love the Dermatologica but I haven't been brave enough to spend that kind of money on a product yet.





6. Make Your Bed



Before we head downstairs to start the day, I make beds and tidy up bedrooms. This is my first task of the day and I find that a clean and uncluttered space sets me up for a clean and uncluttered mind. 

So make your damn bed - it is good habit to get into, your room looks better and it is a productive way to start your day.










Side Note:

We are super blessed to homeschool and have a sweet and easy pace in the mornings, we are not generally in a rush to get anywhere and that makes a huge difference to my anxiety. I am a super high strung and anxious person and my anxiety spikes up whenever I feel that I am 'running late' for things. Spiked anxiety levels do not make for calm and kind people or parents and so I am so very grateful that I don't have to rush around in the mornings to get kids to school or go to work.

On the days when I do have to rush for an early appointment or for a 6.30 Calinetics class, I like to make sure that I am super prepared the night before and that absolutely everything I need for the day is laid out and ready to go - I leave nothing to chance. This makes for calmer mornings and a happier me.

xxx


Anyway, I find that these 6 rituals really help to put me into a positive frame of mind, and help me to start the day with a happy heart and soul. Putting my best foot forward in the morning sets the path for a kind, positive and productive day.

Do you do any of these things, or have any other rituals that boost your positivity for the day? I would love to know about them, drop me a comment.

With Love,
Chelsea





















Comments

Popular Posts