Homemade Chicken Nugget Wraps - And My Vegan Version


Homemade Chicken Nugget Wraps - And My Vegan Version

I have been making chicken nuggets for my girls for a while now, I like that I can at least know what they are eating. I spent a lot of time in my law school years watching food channels and since Jamie Oliver's chicken nugget expose they have made my stomach turn. 
These are super simple to make.


For The Nuggets

Ingredients:

Chicken breast (I find that 2 decent sized breasts are enough for hubby and the girls)
1 slice of bread (any kind)
Some flour (I have made them without the flour and it worked)
Seasoning (I use the Ina Paarman Garlic and Herb Seasoning)
*A little Parmesan wouldn't hurt if you are doing diary*
1 egg




Recipe:

Prepare the chicken breasts as if you are making schnitzel. This requires cutting the breast open and then flattening it out (I cover it with plastic wrap and then use a rolling pin to bash it flat). This way the chicken is nice and thin and requires very little cooking time.

I then cut the breast up into smaller pieces to serve as the nuggets.

Blitz up your bread into crumbs, add in a bit of flour (a couple of tablespoons - just to help with the coating of the chicken) and the seasoning. You can add in your Parmesan before you blitz the bread.
This is your dry coating.

You will also need to crack your egg into a bowl, scramble it up and add a splash of water to make it go a bit further.


Simply dip your nuggets into the egg and then into the dry coating (I make sure I get a nice amount of coating on the nugget) and then fry in a bit of oil until the chicken is cooked through.

These are a huge hit with my kids.


For The Wrap

I became bored of serving the chicken nuggets the same way - with some sort of carb and two veg - and so I came up with the wrap. An ode to KFC's Twister.



Ingredients:

Wraps
Baby Spinach Leaves
Tomato
Mayonnaise
Sweet Chilli Sauce








Recipe:

Pretty self evident. 
Heat up the wraps (I use the dry pan method) spread on a sauce of your choice, I do mayo and sweet chilli but you could use anything. Add your leaves and nice fresh tomato and finally your nuggets.





It doesn't photograph beautifully but it tastes pretty great.


Vegan-ize It


1 can of butter beans drained. 
Pop into a pan with a tiny bit of oil, add a few tablespoons of the dry coating above (without the cheese obviously).
Fry until it is a brown and crunchy crumble.


I don't normally use the entire can of butter beans as I am only making for me, but you might need to improvise depending on who you are cooking for.





Prep your wrap as you want it.


Enjoy your 'kinder' Twister.

I find the texture of the beans amazing and you get that chicken nugget taste as well.




Hope this is not too weird a recipe to share, I do some odd things in the kitchen sometimes, but this one turned out pretty well I think.







With love,
Chelsea.




Comments

Popular Posts