Quiet Books For Preschoolers


Quiet Books For Preschoolers

Preschool is such fun, I am loving this phase in my girl's life.

We get to paint a lot, we play outside, we have dance parties, we do play-doh, we hug trees, we do puzzles - we have a lot of fun. But it is also a super important phase of their lives, this phase sets the stage for future development, for intelligence, for a whole lot of things. 



We are learning to read and write, we are learning to dress ourselves and to be independent, we are learning to be kind humans. These are big things! 

It is easy to be overwhelmed as a parent about the responsibility of all of these things. I feel overwhelmed on almost a daily basis. I have a lot of insecurity about whether I am doing the right thing for my kids. But deep down I believe that I am trying my best and that just has to be enough!

Something that is super important for preschoolers, young kids in general, is the development of gross and fine motor skills.


Gross Motor Skills are the big movements, like kicking a ball.

Fine Motor Skills involve the small muscles which control the hand, fingers and thumb. 





They are important for things like buttoning, writing, using a spoon, etc. They are actually essential for performing everyday skills.


There are abundant exercises and everyday things that we do with our children to develop these Gross and Fine Motor Skills. Hello Pinterest!





Anyway this post is about our quiet books.



I have found that a great way to work on Fine Motor movements is through a quiet book. This kills two birds with one stone, because (in theory) you should also be getting some quiet time as well.

I am not particularly talented at sewing, but I wanted to make these and so I did, it is not hard once you set your mind to it, as long as you are not too much of a perfectionist - none of my pages are perfect.






I made our quiet books out of felt, using Pinterest as my inspiration - there is so much out there and so many options for pages, if you are interested in making one for your child there is no shortage of  inspiration. I particularly love the work of Stephanie from Imagine Our Life.


Here are our pages, I did a lot of sewing but you could glue gun most of it. Our pages focus a lot on buttoning, there is some braiding, zipping, lacing, weaving and puzzles. A lot of imaginative play as well. 

























































































We are keeping our books in the car, because we do drive around a lot and they make good car entertainment. Once my kiddos are bored with them I will give them away to other kiddos who can make use of them. Waste not, want not.

Hope this was inspiring in some small way?

With love,
Chelsea.



Comments

Popular Posts