Live Kind And Consider The Coconut


Live Kind And Consider The Coconut

I thought the coconut deserved it's very own post because of it's versatility in my life. I use coconut derivatives on a daily basis, it is a natural product that has literally hundreds of uses.

Here are five of them.

1. Make up Remover

I have struggled to find a cruelty free make up remover that works for me. I did eventually discover that the Oh So Heavenly make up removing wipes are amazing but while I was searching I discovered that you can use coconut oil for the same purpose.


So if you don't want to throw away a wipe every time you remove your make up then try coconut oil.

I liquefy the coconut oil in my hands and gently rub onto my skin, paying special attention to heavy eye make up, then I simply rinse away with warm water.

I use this as my pre-cleanse step when I have been wearing make up and then cleanse as usual from there. 

You could also use the oil on cotton wool if you prefer as a water-less option, this leaves a bit of coconut oil on your skin which I then wash off with my usual cleanser.

It took me thirty years to realize the importance of a pre-cleanse step in your beauty regime. If you wash your face full of make-up and grime from the day it is very possible that your cleanser is not penetrating deep enough into your skin to be beneficial. Which is why when you wash your face full of makeup you tend to still have makeup on your face when you're done.

So top tip - remove your make up first, then cleanse.


2. Hydration

I'm talking skin and hair hydration here. 

A bit of coconut oil in the bath transforms it into a moisture soak for your skin. The Mother's Day bath bomb my girls gave me from Lush had coconut oil inside that made the bath a heavenly experience.

Every now and then I use coconut oil as a hair mask when my color treated hair is feeling very dry and neglected. It takes a lot of muscle to wash out properly but it gives the hair a great conditioning treatment.


3. Oil Pulling

I use coconut oil for oil pulling, this is a bit 'out there' for most people but it is picking up in popularity. Basically I swish a teaspoon full of coconut oil in my mouth for between 10 and 20 minutes in the morning, spit it out (in the dustbin as it will block your drains) and then brush my teeth as normal.


I find that my teeth feel dentist-clean afterwards as the oil works very well to remove plaque. I am convinced that my teeth are whiter when I 'pull' regularly and that my stains have vanished. 

Oil pulling is also supposed to rid the body of oil-soluble toxins and if it does this then bonus for me I guess.






4. Vegan Snack Balls


Plant based snacks are not hard to find, but for a chocolate and sugar lover like me these 'power balls' are a must for my fridge. They are great for that late afternoon slump. I use coconut oil, shredded coconut and even desiccated coconut in my ball recipes.

A simple date ball I like to make includes dates, shredded coconut, coconut oil and vanilla extract.

Or an oat version, with oats, peanut butter, shredded coconut and vegan choc chips.

Delicious!




5. Vegan Cooking


Vegan-ising my diet has not been easy, there are not in fact many vegetables that I actually enjoy eating. Although I have grown to love some veggies that I used to hate before becoming a herbivore. It's all about becoming acclimatized I suppose.

Anyways, I could live on soups and curries and I find them the easiest way to vegan-ise my diet and get in all the veggies that I wouldn't normally eat on their own. I could eat soup or curry all year around. I also love a stir fry.

Anyway a good cream alternative to making your curries and soups creamy, is to use coconut milk or coconut cream. Works like a charm, tastes amazing and I keep a few cans in my pantry at all times for a quick and easy veg curry whenever the mood strikes. The great thing about a veg curry is that it doesn't need a long time to cook compared to a meat based version.

Another use for the magnificent coconut.

Sweet Potato Coconut Curry

Chickpea Coconut Curry


There are so many more things the coconut is awesome for but I thought I"d keep it personal, and these are the things I love it and use it for.

Hope you enjoy experimenting with the coconut or if you already use it, what do you do with it? I'd love to know.


With Love,
Chelsea.







Comments

Popular Posts